Monday 23 April 2012

Faith vs Fear

I cannot know God's plans for me,

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8

but I can trust that they are good;

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

I am reading the story (in the book of Numbers in the bible) of how Moses sent twelve Israeli spies to the land of Canaan, the promised land. The spies returned, reporting that the land was "flowing with milk and honey" but the people living there were powerful and the cities fortified. Most of the spies were greatly discouraged, fearful of successfully overcoming this powerful people to claim their lands, and the people began weeping, wailing that they wished they had died in Egypt or even in the wilderness.

The Lord was displeased with their lack of faith and therefore did as they feared.

Fear is a human emotion - but faith should not be defeated by fear.

"What I want from you is your true thanks. I want your promises fulfilled. I want you to trust me in your times of trouble, so I can rescue you, and you can give me glory." Psalms 50: 14-15

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

In Daniel chapter 3, King Nebuchadnezzar threatens to throw the jews Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego into a burning furnace for refusing to worship the golden image that the King had set up.

The three replied "If we are thrown into the burning furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from your Majesty's hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your Gods or worship the image of Gold you have set up." Daniel 3: 17-18

The outcome is in God's hands, for He is God, and it is his prerogative.

It is our luxury that he is kind and loves us - for they were thrown into the furnace, and God saved them after all.



No comments:

Post a Comment